It’s National Small Business Week – a week created by the U.S. Small Business Administration to celebrate American small businesses, their owners, and impact these entrepreneurs have on our economy. And in celebration, we gathered 7 mantras that all small business owners should (and need to) live by to make their dreams come true and avoid getting discouraged when the going gets tough…because when it does, the tough get going.
Here are the 7 mantras:
1. I can do this. In an entrepreneur’s life, almost every day brings a new challenge. When you first wake up, remind yourself that you got this and you can do it. The positive affirmation that you are stronger than your challenges will get you through those tough times of the day.
2. This too shall pass. Everything is temporary. Whether it’s a dip in business, a need to pivot your marketing strategy, or potentially reorganizing your staff, the situations will change and resulting wombs will heal with time. Just remember that getting through the storm leads to the sunshine.
3. One step at a time. It’s often too overwhelming to focus on everything that has to be done in a day, week, month or year. So instead, focus on accomplishing one thing at a time and know that each little step results in a huge leap. Instead of always focusing on the end goal (which could seem like it’s ages away), focus on the task at hand and remember that each step will get you closer to the end goal.
4. It doesn’t have to be perfect – it just usually has to be done. Many entrepreneurs are high-achievers and therefore, are also perfectionists. It’s understandable that when a business has your name, you want to be proud of every single output. However, sometimes it’s less about perfection and more about getting it out there. You don’t always have to strive for perfect – maybe you strive for great and then hit perfect when the time is right.
5. If it was easy, anyone would do it. There is a reason why everyone isn’t an entrepreneur. Some people just aren’t made for it and some aren’t ready for the challenges and difficulties entrepreneurs and small businesses face. So ultimately, being a small business owner isn’t supposed to be easy…but it is rewarding. And if you’re passionate about what you’re doing, then it’s worth it.
6. I am human…with superhuman powers. Okay, maybe you don’t have x-ray vision or lightening fast speed, but you have determination, drive, and passion. But, even though you may possess all the important qualities of an entrepreneur and small business owner, you are still human. That means you may make mistakes, fumble, fall down, and make decisions that, in retrospect, seem wrong. Remember, you are stronger and more resilient than you think…but you are human.
7. I am moving forward. No matter what challenges you face today, you can never go back to yesterday. You can only control what’s in the moment, prepare for what’s in the future, and deal with what happened yesterday. Know that everyday is forward moving and you need to ensure you live in the moment.
Do you have any other mantras that get you through the day? Leave them in the comments!